I graduate in 70 days… yikes!
It may sound cliché, but it genuinely feels like just yesterday I was hitting submit on my USC application, visiting USC and interviewing for a scholarship during ExploreUSC, and moving into my freshman dorm. Although the last few years flew by, I wouldn’t have had it any other way. As I reflect on the last 4 years, here is some advice I would give to 18 year old Gus who was just getting started with his chemical engineering degree.
- Don’t pull that all nighter. It’s not worth it.
- Knock on the door of the people that live across/next to you. Go say hi! That might be how you meet your best friend
- You don’t have to carry on with all your high school involvements and there’s nothing wrong with. Take advantage of the fresh start you’re being given and go figure out what you really like
- Don’t stay in all weekend studying. Of course there’s value in studying, but 5 years from now you’re not going to remember what grade you got on your general chemistry midterm, but you are going to remember all the great memories you made with some of the best people you have ever met. Put effort into figuring out time management skills so you can optimize your studying and go explore LA with your friends!
- As much as you might not think so now, you ARE going to miss the dining halls
Extra: Enjoy your time at USC. It’s going to be one heck of a ride!