12 Things I Did Over Winter Break
Winter break is nearly a whole month – and a whole month can see really long, especially if you don’t have any travel plans. If you’re planning on spending the break at home, here are some fun ideas to help keep the boredom at bay.
1) Hiking! Even in the winter, there are many trails out there, no matter where you live. A hike is also a great way to exercise without it feeling like a chore.
2) Trying new restaurants. It seems whenever I come home, there are cool new places to try.
3) Redecorating. Spice up your room, maybe the family room or another room if your family will let you!
4) Learning new recipes. Knowing how to cook is a vital life skill, and what better time to practice than winter break?
5) Learning to code. Online programs like Codacademy (https://www.codecademy.com/learn) offer free lessons, and by the end you’ll have learned the basics or a programming language or website development.
6) Learning an instrument.
7) Go to the movies. During the semester, it can be hard to find time to get out to the movies. Break is a perfect time to see the big screen.
8) Holiday activities. There are lights, parades, festivals almost everywhere, only a quick internet search away.
9) Play board games with the family. It’s a fun way to hang out and have some good old fashioned conversation.
10) Movie marathon. Watch your favorite movies with your favorite snacks alone or with friends!
11) Clean out your closet! Revamp your room, it’s always fun to come home to a clean room.
12) Bake and decorate holiday treats. This way, you can eat some and bring holiday cheer to family and friends.
However, I think it’s most important to get in much-needed relaxation time! It’s tough to feel ready to come back to school if you don’t feel like you’ve gotten the chance to relax and do at least a little bit of nothing.