Earlier this week as I was outside mowing the grass in the unbearable Missouri heat, I realized that I was heading back to USC in less than a week. Where did the time go!? It seems like I was just beginning my studies in Buenos Aires with the entire summer ahead of me. Nevertheless, as soon as I realized I was headed back, I was immediately excited.
What am I excited for you ask? Well let me sum it up briefly:
1. New house: This fall I’m moving into an awesome, recently renovated house with 11 of my good friends. I’ll be rooming with a fellow engineer and Freshman Academy Coach Jason. To say I’m excited is an understatement.
2. Classes: Although Junior year is certain to be challenging (I’m talking about you Mech-Op), I’m still excited for the courses I’m registered for this fall. What I’m most excited for is AME-499, a Turbine design elective. The class is taught by a guy from the industy, more specifically SpaceX, and I’ve heard the class is incredibly interesting and very relevant to my interests (alternative energy, in this case wind energy).
3. Research: At the end of last semester I joined a new research group, whose focus is on designing the software architecture for smart grids. The research they do is cutting edge and some of the best in the country. I’m looking forward to working with the team and learning a great deal of information.
4. Football: You knew it was coming, but as every USC student could tell you, football is a major deal. This year as Heisman hopeful Matt Barkley has said, the USC team has some unfinished business to attend to and will be in the running for the BCS Championship. I absolutely cannot wait for the first game.
5. New Fraternity House: This fall, the USC chapter of Sigma Nu will be completing our new house. All of us are extremely excited for the fall semester and our looking forward to hanging out and welcoming in another group of talented brothers.
As for the rest of summer, I’m heading to Kansas City for a few days on a road trip with some friends. Afterwards, I’m just looking forward to spending time with my family as I await my return to good old ‘SC.
Until next time and fight on!