Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving and are looking forward to the holidays. As the semester comes to an end for me, I’m going to share my top ten memories of this past few months.
- Beating UCLA – I came back to LA for the day to see our football team play hard and beat the Bruins!
- Winning our first hockey game of the year – We came from behind and won 5-4 against a local women’s team, the Predators!
- Grace Hopper Celebration – I got to spend a week in Houston meeting other women in technology, learning about advances in the field, and interviewing with great companies.
- CSCI 499 – Concepts of Programming Languages – In this technical elective, I learned about many aspects of programming languages including differences between imperative and declarative languages and some theory about how languages are made.
- Getting an internship at Amazon – One thing that came from attending the Grace Hopper Celebration is that I started my interview process with Amazon. After a series of technical interviews, I accepted an offer for a Software Development Engineer Intern!
- Living with my awesome roommates – I’ve had such a great time this year living with friends: going out to eat, watching movies, baking, and going to football games.
- Visiting my brother in Seattle – I spent a weekend visiting my brother and his wife, seeing the sights like this glass exhibit at the Seattle Center.
- My research project – This semester I started work on a physics research project in a composites lab, working on RF coil and eddy current imaging for non-destructive evaluation of composite parts. It’s been a lot of fun working with my grad student and our contacts in industry to get this project going.
- Going to Kings’ games – Being so close to Staples Center, I love going to see my favorite players!
- Touring SpaceX – I got to tour SpaceX with my research lab, and while I don’t have any pictures, I can assure you it was really exciting and impressive.
That’s it for me this semester. I hope you all enjoy your holiday breaks!Meet Ellen